Re: [opensuse] Speech-to-Text
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin-list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 03:51:28 -0600
John Andersen wrote:
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With all speech recognition software you have to "train" it
which is a fairly time consuming process.

I can't speak to Dragon products, but the need to train is the key
thing that newer
technology is trying to eliminate in speech recognition. My phone requires no
training, I can just say "call David Rankin" and it would find you in the
address book. Same with Ford Active Sync. Same with some modern
telephone answering systems. (Call HP tech support to hear a demo.)

Admittedly these things are using a vastly reduced vocabulary. But never the
less, training is on the way out.

The Dragon Naturally Speaking web site says "No training required." We'll see.

Don Henson