Re: [opensuse] howto Change IMAPS port? [SOLVED]
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 23:10:27 -0500
David C. Rankin wrote:
Anders Johansson wrote:
Did you try changing the port number for the imaps service in /etc/services ?

No, I'll do that now. Since UW in, what I could find regarding c-client.cf made no distinction between imap and imaps, I didn't have anything else to try there.

Bingo,

Damn your good. Changed /etc/services imaps to 983 and it accepted the login from firefox without any problem on port 983. Thanks.

For the list,

To move your imaps services to another port in order to operate two separate imap servers on a NAT'ed domain that resolves to a single IP, here is the solution. (Tested with UW imap, should work with others as long and you can set the imap server to listen on the alternate port).

(1) Check /etc/services to find an available alternate port to use:

# grep Unassigned /etc/services

(2) Choose a port that makes since to you. Since I was moving from 993 and 983 was available, that made sense to me. Edit /etc/services and make imaps services available on the new port:

imaps 983/tcp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL
imaps 983/udp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL
#imaps 993/tcp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL (commented out 5/08 - see 983 above)
#imaps 993/udp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL (commented out 5/08 - see 983 above)

--- for UW imap ---

(3) Edit /etc/c-client.cf and add the following line:

imap-port 983

(4) Edit /etc/xinetd.d/imap and add the 'port designation' to the "services imaps" section. It should read as follows:

service imaps
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
port = 983
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/imapd
flags = IPv4
}

(5) Restart xinetd:

# rcxinetd restart

That's it, enjoy. If for some reason it doesn't work for you, ask Anders. He is the only reason I got this working.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC