Re: [opensuse] howto Change IMAPS port?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 22:41:05 -0500
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Saturday 03 May 2008 06:29:23 David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

Another weird question. How do you change the port for UW imap? I have 2
boxes, both mail servers, and I want to configure the second to allow imap
access over port 983 instead of 993. So far I have changed /etc/c-client.cf
and added:

imap-port 983

This is specified in the UW doc imaprc.txt.

Yes, but it is a) "set imap-port 983", and b) for imap, not imaps

Did you try changing the port number for the imaps service in /etc/services ?

No, I'll do that now. Since UW in, what I could find regarding c-client.cf made no distinction between imap and imaps, I didn't have anything else to try there.

Next, I have configured /etc/xinetd.d/imap as:

service imaps
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
port = 983
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/imapd
flags = IPv4
}

Yes, I even did the rcxinetd restart. Still no joy. Does anyone else
know
what else I have to change?

That should at least let the server respond to requests. Which client are you trying with? Did you try with telnet, to see if you get a response at all?

Anders

Yes, I was trying with telnet from localhost and from across the LAN without success. I'll try your suggestion on /etc/services and see if I can get it to talk. Thanks again, ... and again...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC