Re: [opensuse] decrypting LUKS partitions without passphrase
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 10:56:53 +0200
On Saturday 03 May 2008 10.36:38, PaulFransen wrote:
Hi all,

I have my root, swap and home partitions encrypted with LUKS as described
in http://en.opensuse.org/Encrypted_Root_File_System
and it works great on openSUSE 10.3.

When I fire up my computer, I have to enter three passphrases to decrypt
the three partitions. This is of course unavoidable for the root partition
but it should be possible to use keys stored on this partition to decrypt
the swap and home partitions and thus to avoid entering two more
passphrases.

I tried to accomplish this for the swap partition by
dd if=/dev/random of=/etc/keys/swap.key bs=1 count=256
cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda6 /etc/keys/swap.key
and then putting the follwing line in /etc/crypttab:
swap /dev/sda6 /etc/keys/swap.key luks
but at boot time, the systems keeps asking for three passphrases.

Am I overlooking something?

Regards,

Paul.

I had the same problem. Here's how I achieved the desired:

regards

Daniel

erotic art photos: http://www.bauer-nudes.com/en/linux.html
Madagascar special: http://www.fotograf-basel.ch/madagascar/