[opensuse] decrypting LUKS partitions without passphrase
  • From: PaulFransen <send.me@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 10:36:38 +0200
Hi all,

I have my root, swap and home partitions encrypted with LUKS as described in
http://en.opensuse.org/Encrypted_Root_File_System
and it works great on openSUSE 10.3.

When I fire up my computer, I have to enter three passphrases to decrypt the
three partitions. This is of course unavoidable for the root partition but it
should be possible to use keys stored on this partition to decrypt the swap
and home partitions and thus to avoid entering two more passphrases.

I tried to accomplish this for the swap partition by
dd if=/dev/random of=/etc/keys/swap.key bs=1 count=256
cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda6 /etc/keys/swap.key
and then putting the follwing line in /etc/crypttab:
swap /dev/sda6 /etc/keys/swap.key luks
but at boot time, the systems keeps asking for three passphrases.

Am I overlooking something?

Regards,

Paul.