Re: [opensuse] The (lack of) Windows Vista-like windows switching effect for openSUSE 11.0 compiz-fusion
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 22:06:58 +0200
On Friday 02 May 2008 19:01:55 John Andersen wrote:
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Alexey Eremenko <al4321@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All !

openSUSE 10.3 (compiz-fusion ccsm) and Windows Vista Aero Glass can
switch windows in 3D space in very nice way.

However, openSUSE 11.0 BETA1 (compiz-fusion ccsm) doesn't seem to have
this effect. Where is it gone?

I see the "Ring switcher" in ccsm, but no "Vista" switcher.

[begin rant mode]
Why must Linux emulate every lame trick Windows comes up with?

[begin mega rant mode]

Why must everything windows does be labeled as something windows "came up
with", regardless of how many other systems or programs did it before.

In the case of 3d window switching, the first time I saw it was in project
Looking Glass from Sun, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if someone told
me it had been done even earlier.

Almost nothing in Windows was invented, originated, or even perfected in
windows
[/rant]

In my day job I use Vista and I find the vista switcher a useless piece
of Eye Candy which is ALWAYS slower than selecting the window from the
task bar.
[/rant]

In any case, I don't think "I don't like it so you shouldn't either" is an
answer to any question

Since the OP said "where has it gone?", I'd be more interested in knowing if
it was ever there in the first place. Maybe someone just forgot to package it

Anders