Re: [opensuse] recursively chmod files only
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 20:44:12 +0200

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 20:37 +0200, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

I would like to recursively remove write permission of a
directory but to keep write and access permissions for the
directories.
How can I do this?

Impossible. You cannot both keep and remove write permissions on the
same thing. I suspect you mean something slightly different?

Remove write from files but keep it for directories. starting in the
current directory:

find . -type f -exec chmod a-w {} \;

It is how I would do it. Of course, there are probably other ways. If
you leave off the -exec stuff, it will print the files to will change
the permissions of.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST