Re: [opensuse] trouble with Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E graphics card
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 08:49:31 -0700
On Friday 02 May 2008 08:35, Boris Epstein wrote:
Hello everyone,

Well, we've got this supposedly hot card (for full description see
the link below)

I'm told it's a "solid card, not an 8800, but..."

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Games/productdetail.aspx?
c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1350998

You could have gotten an ASUS card that uses DDR3 RAM but is otherwise
identical for the same price from Newegg:

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121097>

Mine's arriving by UPS today, so I have more than a passing interest in
this!

And it seems fine. However, the Nvidia driver for OpenSuSE 10.3, 32
bit (that's what we are trying to use it under) wouldn't pick it up
and on top of that lspci lists it as an "inknown Nvidia device" or
some such - in other words, it can't figure out the model number. I
think the two problems may be related.

I will let you know later this afternoon if this is a problem for the
ASUS card. Perhaps the XFX engineers did something funky in the board
identification circuitry or code. Or maybe the unit you got is just
defective.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Boris.

Randall Schulz