Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 11:12:32 -0400

Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday 01 May 2008 07:46, G T Smith wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday 01 May 2008 00:36, Sam Clemens wrote:

<snip>

Randall Schulz
How legible a bit of code is really down to the programmer not the
language the code is written in. ...
Not entirely. And in my experience, most programmers are absolutely lousy graphic artists and write ugly, unreadable code.

I would agree with the former (and the converse.. most graphics artist
are lousy programmers). However, I do think in the latter you incorrect
(or unlucky), if you in any form of collaborative project and you
collaborators cannot make head or tail of your code *you* have the
problem. Even if you are the sole author and there is any chance you
have to go back to it at a former date it is a good idea to try and make
in comprehensible, (it is a bit embarrassing as going back to something
and wondering who the idiot was who wrote this, knowing the idiot was
yourself).

Asking about standards in this realm is meaningless. None of these languages are standardized, not BASH, not Perl, not Python, not Ruby and not Groovy. But they're all real, powerful, supported and actively maintained languages. They're all well enough defined for the purposes to which they're put. (Well, I'm still harping on the G2One people to document and specify Groovy better, but they're overworked, it seems.)

Probably not formally, BASH, Perl, and Python have a community which
maintain the primary interpreter and hence implicitly the formal spec.
(Dunno about Groovy..., though the OpenOffice scripting component suffer
greatly but the rather poor documentation). Javascript does have a
formal standard.

The first thing I ask about a new language is does it address something
which currently is not being done well by current languages. C++ extends
C to give objects, D is attempting to extend C++ so dependence on STL
for certain constructs is less of an issue. Java creates a network
orientated multi-platform programming model. Python does address the
rather clever and obscure kludge that gives Perl objects, (but as far as
I can see little else). Perl 6 is supposed to adopting a similar object
definition model to that of Python, but AFAIK that is not going to
happen soon. PHP addresses the complexity of integration of Perl::DBI
and Perl::CGI for web design work by giving a simpler model (but
unfortunately handing the design issue to some that have little
awareness of Web security). Ruby as far as I can work out is a fashion
statement...

Mono, VB, .NET and C# is a finger in throat moment... :-)

100% Graham