Re: [opensuse] KDE4 and opensuse 11.0 [changed]
  • From: peter nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:39:37 +0100
On Friday 02 May 2008, Fred A. Miller wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Will Stephenson

<wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
To make this industry scenario a little more realistic:

Importantly, the first week of April is our decision point, not deep
freeze.
The KDE 4 packages would continue to be updated with bulk fixes from
Subversion until the end of May, and critical fixes through the RC
cycle. So
you'd be using what you had in your hand to sell what's coming next,
not what
you have in your hand.

Curious if anyone knows if the above decision was made and which way
it went.

Greg

For sanity's sake let us pray that 3.x is still the default and that 4.x
is an option. It would be a pity for first time users to get caught by
the numerous 4.x gotchas and give up on linux because "it just doesn't
work". Sure an experienced user may be able to dig through
~/.kde/share/config/ and /opt/kdeX/ and recover, but this is far beyond
what anyone wanting to "try" Novell openSuSE is capable of doing.

After the 10.3 install issues and broken recover system, I sure would
like to see 11.0 come out clean without any major gotchas...

Surely Novell understands that.

One can hope!! The last I looked at 4.0, (a few days ago) all the admin.
stuff is missing....configurability is "gone, along with some other
things!!" I do like plasma.....NICE effects! I just don't see 4.0 being
ready for prime time by the end of June....UNfortunately.

Fred

--
MickySoft Aims to Lasso Everything With Live Mesh.
What will get "lassoed" is your private data as

Now you know as well as i do Fred they WILL force it out and it will be
something you have to activley say no to KDE3 will get sidelined althou it
blows seven kinds of **** KDE4 , Certain people have an ajenda and there
aint no shifting it KDE4 May be ready by the end of the year we will still
get it forced on us before hand .

I installed 11B1 on the laptop KDE4 worked once then never to be seen again
KDE3 works perfectly 4 just gives a black screen no matter what and also
there are no errors reported ANY WHERE ..

Ready My Aunt Fanny as like .

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)