Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 10:17:42 +0100

David C. Rankin wrote:
Sam Clemens wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday 01 May 2008 00:36, Sam Clemens wrote:

<snip>

Well,

My purpose for looking at perl was I wanted a more robust bash. I
wanted something that had better file handling, data structures, loop
and conditional expression support, regexp support, floating point,
etc.. Just something that would allow me to do in 20-30 lines of code
all (or at least 99%) the administrative stuff I need to do, but where I
have run into limitations in bash.

If I was ever going to do a big project, it would be in c/c++,
(heaven forbid Fortran) something I already know. I thought perl would
be a step up in scripting language from bash. Is that the wrong move?
Would something else give me all perl's functionality in a better script
language? I was really looking forward to the CPAN resource.

You guys let me know what you think. Thanks.

I had to get to grips with Perl when I was required to do some
customising of a fairly large web based application. Once I got over the
initial WTF, began to appreciate its flexibility. Perl has extensive
Modular capabilities and mutable syntax.

Perl is strongest at anything that requires any form of textual
manipulation, but you can probably do damn near anything with the
language. (Perl::Inline gives the ability to link Perl to C/C++/Java
libraries to do legwork so one can combine scripting and compiled code
level functionality). The CPAN library is quite extensive.

It is not an elegant language or easy language to learn, which in part
is why the two major texts on the language are called the Llama and the
Camel. However, like the two beasts in question it is good at getting
the job done. It is a very powerful tool.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup