Re: [opensuse] new system question
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 13:32:56 -0700
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Russ Fineman <russbucket@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The hardware compatibility list appears to be out of date. Has anyone had any
experience with the following??

Processor Speed 2.40 GHz, 1066 FSB, 8MB
Processor Type Intel(R) Coreā„¢ 2 Quad
RAM 4 GB, 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM (4 Modules)
Hard Drive Size 150 GB SATA (Will replace with 2x320GB Maxtor drives that
are in my present system)

Motherboard is an Intel with 975 chip set.

Any comments would be helpful. One of my main concerns is will I have to use
the 2.6.22.18-SL103_BRANCH_20080221152521-default kernel so it will boot past
the SATA controllers. My present ASUS motherboard with SIS SATA controlers
will only boot with the above kernel or with 11.0 alpha 2. Have not had time
to try Beta 1.

I've never had a lick of trouble with Sata controllers, beginning even
before 2.6.18.
My machine has 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers
and no problem booting.

I would try the current default kernel, and see where it leads. (The
default kernel is also
the smp kernel, and you will want the x86_64, or you won't see all your memory).

All my machines have sata, and none have problems. If asus has, all the more
reason to avoid them.