Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 09:04:04 -0700

It's worth taking a look at, if only for familiarization.
But don't try to do a "monster" program with it.
10000 lines of shell-script is more maintainable than
100 lines of perl.

Well,

My purpose for looking at perl was I wanted a more robust bash. I
wanted something that had better file handling, data structures, loop
and conditional expression support, regexp support, floating point,
etc.. Just something that would allow me to do in 20-30 lines of code
all (or at least 99%) the administrative stuff I need to do, but
where I have run into limitations in bash.

If I was ever going to do a big project, it would be in c/c++,
(heaven forbid Fortran) something I already know. I thought perl
would be a step up in scripting language from bash. Is that the wrong
move? Would something else give me all perl's functionality in a
better script language? I was really looking forward to the CPAN
resource.

You guys let me know what you think. Thanks.

If you're already engaged with Perl, just stick with it. If you're a
programming professional or want to be, you'll need to work with lots
of languages and understand them and their strengths and limitations at
a deeper level than someone who just wants to get some day-to-day,
one-off tasks done and won't need to, e.g., support other people using
or maintaining your code. Either way, having some experience with Perl
won't be a bad thing.

--
David C. Rankin

Randall Schulz