Re: [opensuse] Well, there goes any hope for ReiserFS 4....
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 05:26:11 -0400
Tom Patton wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 23:55 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:51:53PM -0700, John Andersen wrote:
ZDNet has an article on this up now:

Reiser FS: The open source file system fallout

Posted by Jason Perlow

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8647

My personal opinion based solely on my own experience is that Reiserfs
is a good system that is highly reliable, but is likely to disappear mostly
because Hans was a social ass.
Please be aware that the old reiserfs is mostly maintained outside of Namesys.
Only reiserfs4 is likely never going to happen...

Ciao, Marcus
From what little I know of the plans, nothing of reiserfs4 interested
me. Ext3 was tried on 3 systems here at home, and felt sluggish. It
also seemed to cause problems with Zoneminder recording video alarms.
New installs on reiser3 cured all problems, so I sure hope it remains a
viable system. As mature as it is, I think that should be possible...
unless some "clever" programmer starts placing "hooks" into his ap for a
specific file system. (Wasn't that part of the plan for the new rfs4?)

Tying an app to a specific filesystem sounds like the road well-paved
road of good intentions straight to early obsolescence.

Tom in NM