Re: [opensuse] How can I stop Yast kernel updates from deleting /lib/modules for the old kernel?
  • From: Richard Creighton <ricreig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:23:20 -0400
Chris Worley wrote:
Its very frustrating that updating from Yast causes kernel updates to
delete the /lib/modules directory for the old kernel.

If you don't immediately reboot, then any, i.e. USB, devices you plug
into your machine after the update don't work.

Worse, if the new kernel wasn't installed correctly, the old kernel
won't boot either lacking needed modules.
Chris,

I think for the moment the best solution is to NOT let YAST or the UPDATER program do any updates that install or modify the kernel for ANY reason. Instead, note the version of the patch or kernel it wants to update and go download it manually then install it yourself with rpm -i rather than the default rpm -U that YAST and the updater program uses. I have tried with some success to use smart --gui and protected the current kernel and sources, etc and then let *it* do an update but I really prefer now to take no chances and do kernel updates manually. This has the additional advantage of leaving the old kernel alone in the menu in GRUB where once you are comfortable with whatever changes were made, you can use YAST to edit the grub menu yourself.

Richard