Re: [opensuse] Novell Bugzilla - At it Again - Bugs Apparently Dismissed Without Sufficient Investigation
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:28:07 -0700
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Richard Creighton <ricreig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Often, I found the report closed, and only got action
after I reopened it.

Yes, that works. How may people thing that having someone from opensuse
CLOSE it means "get lost"? I suspect quite a few.

Some, after reopening got worked on and had long
chains of interaction. Unfortunately few were resolved, but they were
closed. Finally many bugs, including many of mine were closed as
'insufficient resources' or 'resources not allocated to debug this' or in
some cases, obtuse 'promises' to look into it in "the next release".

Well at least that was honest.

If the bug is rare enough and hard enough to reproduce, it is by definition not
a show stopper, and can be avoided, will/may be fixed by future releases,
then good resource allocation dictates you walk away.
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this". Doctor: "Don't do that".

I am not aware of a single piece of software that is bug free.

Yes, your system got hozed. But realistically, how many people are going
to be desperately trying to repair a system that A) wasn't broken, and B) had
other OS version installed, and C) was undergoing dangerous maintenance
on a system without disconnecting things you don't want touched?

I don't like it when my bugs get ignored either, but I report them anyway
because (presumably) they will forward them upstream to the package
maintainer, or when work is started on that package for the next releas
they will search the bug database and attempt to fix them all.

Just don't let them close them, and don't fail to respond with the
documentation they need.