Re: [opensuse] Re: Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:58:38 +0200 (CEST)

The Friday 2008-04-04 at 21:10 -0400, Sam Clemens wrote:

I can't say about now, but 6 months ago if you had a SATA drive fail
and attempted a hotswap, the new drive would be recognized and
assigned a new unique /dev/sdX name. Then you had to reconfigure your
raid setup to use the new disk. It was definitely not as clean as a
hardware raid controller.

One more reason to use volume labels instead of /dev/xdX names

Tell me, how do you define a volume label for a disk that has not yet been formatted nor partitioned? And do so in a manner that is recognised by the raid setup before it does its things.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.