Re: [opensuse] Novell Bugzilla - At it Again - Bugs Apparently Dismissed Without Sufficient Investigation
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:48:25 +0100

Anders

Well, your right as usual about my understanding. What I can't
get my mind around is the fact that the mce(s) go away as long as
the driver isn't loaded. ...

The driver tells the hardware, among other things, where to
transfer data via DMA. Such transfers are done asynchronously and
if the driver gives bad addresses or transfer sizes to such a
DMA-equipped card, then that card's actions (carrying out the
driver's instructions) can cause "hardware" errors.

I don't think that will trigger an MCE though

Well, one thing that can happen is that interrupt vectors can be
clobbered by DMA activity, after which it can become impossible for the
processor to continue because it gets a fault trying to execute from
bad addresses or from valid addresses that contain gibberish
instructions.

Well, it's obviously possible for software to hang a CPU, that's not in
question.

But I still don't think it will trigger a machine check exception. That's not
the type of errors those are designed to alert about

Anders
--
Madness takes its toll