Re: [opensuse] Novell Bugzilla - At it Again - Bugs Apparently Dismissed Without Sufficient Investigation
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:20:45 +0100
On Friday 04 April 2008 17:15:45 David C. Rankin wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
The report has some points not clear.

For one thing, if the problem occurs _only_ when the nvidia driver
loaded, the one made by nvidia, then you will have a very hard time
convincing anyone to even look at it. It is closed source! The kernel
puts a message saying "Tainted!", and developers will not touch it as if
it were leprous.

They have their reasons and I wont argue them, nor who is to blame, but
it is a sad situation for users, who certainly are not to be blamed.
This is like a city transport strike: they go against the management,
but it is the users who suffer it.

Carlos,

If they had given that answer I would be 100% happy with it. The
problem I have with the response I received is that it smelled very much
like a George Bush justification for closing the bug. You know the type,
an explanation that just can't be trusted.

You seem to be misunderstanding what "mce" is. A machine check exception is
the hardware itself telling you that something has gone badly wrong. There is
no interpretation involved in the software. The software just logs the
message

If the mce says it is a hardware problem, you can count on its being a
hardware problem

Anders
--
Madness takes its toll