Re: [opensuse] Novell Bugzilla - At it Again - Bugs Apparently Dismissed Without Sufficient Investigation
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 16:54:57 +0100
David C. Rankin wrote:
Yes, I think there is a misunderstanding. The problem *IS NOT* the
nvidia kernel module it self, it works fine. What I suspect the problem
*IS*, is the way the system handles the memory mapping, etc. *after* the
module is loaded. Forget that the module involved is nvidia. It could
just as well be called "The bunch of 1's and 0's, this many of them,
that goes here when loaded" for purposes of this discussion.

Well, if you can reproduce the problem with another module to which you
have the source then I'm sure they will investigate. You could always
take a small module and add an array containing whatever pattern of 1s
and 0s you think is important :)

What I _am_ saying is that on my Tyan board with its chipset/bios
combination, and multicore AMD processors, the software (another
module/kernel/pick you favorite part), is in fatal conflict with the
driver and that for debugging purposes, there needs to be sufficient
investigation to either rule in or rule out the problem.

Agreed. The issue is who should do that investigation. You seem to
believe that it should be Novell/kernel developers. I - and others
AFAICT - believe it should be nvidia. And they're unlikely to do it
unless you report it to them.

Cheers, Dave