Re: [opensuse] Re: Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 16:41:16 +0200
On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:41 +0200, Neil wrote:

Question: I hear everyone speaking about the hotpugability of (good)
hard raid controllers, but is it possible to hot plug a new SATA drive
into a soft raid system? Are there motherboards that do not support
hot plugging of SATA drives? For IDE it is probably impossible (IDE
was not designed for it I belive) unless the hardware RAID controller
would have special possibilities for it, I believe.
Thanks for taking the time to think about it

Many SuperMicro systems support this. We do this with their systems with
4 SATA drive bays that we swap. Of course, we still need to do a
umount/mount. And, this can, if needed, be coordinated with udev so you
can specify extra stuff to happen when a disk is inserted.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB