Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 10.3 KDE and selecting the sound device.
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:46:58 +0200
On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:25 +0200, Will Stephenson wrote:
On Friday 04 April 2008, Roger Oberholtzer said:
I have a machine into which I have plugged a pair of USB speakers (some
model by Trust). Happily, they worked out of the box. That is, the
proper drivers were automatically loaded and the devices accept sound
from programs like xmms. (Linux is just getting to be less challenging
these days...)

KDE is a different issue. If I tell KDE to use a specific audio device
(e.g., /dev/dsp1 - my USB speakers - instead of /dev/dsp), I can get it
to play its test sound to that device. However, nothing I do can make
KDE generally use this device. Restart KDE and it is back to
using /dev/dsp. kmix shows the USB speakers, so KDE does know about
them, but the sound is not coming from them.

Is there some magic to getting KDE to use a specified audio device?

Sounds like a bug, if the configured sound device is not remembered.

I thought so as well. It is this way in the KDE that ships with 10.3, as
well as whatever the current up-to-date version is that is available for
openSUSE. I thought I would explore if I was doing the right thing
before filing a bug.

To be more clear, I am setting this in the KDE Personal Settings in:

Sound & Multimedia -> System Sounds -> Hardware

There is an item called "Override device location". I check this, and
enter /dev/dsp1. Then, the test sound is heard via /dev/dsp1. But
nothing else in KDE uses it, even after a restart.

Maybe it is not the right place to be setting this.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB