Re: [opensuse] Sound advice
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:38:35 +0200
On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:29 +0200, Will Stephenson wrote:
On Friday 04 April 2008, Sam Clemens said:

Rather than trying to send sound over the network, why not just
set up a program on the machine with the sound card & speakers,
and use rsh (remote shell) from the headless machine to the
machine that has the sound.

i.e.
if [bad condition]
then
rsh sound-host /usr/local/bin/play-sound Im.dying.wav
fi

Or set up syslogd to do network logging, and have some process on the logging
host read the logs and speak them or play the appropriate wavs. Lots of
other possibilities to send messages and take an action, but piping the audio
sounds like putting the complexity in the wrong place.

This is what I am exploring. I thought that, in the spirit of open
source, I would look for an existing solution or near solution that I
could adopt, and perhaps contribute to as I make my own refinements. I
don't want to enter the already crowded audio area unless I need to.
Even though, ultimately, it is a simple think I am trying to do.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB