Re: [opensuse] NAS backup solution for OpenSuSE users
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 07:10:14 -0400
Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Dear all

We run a small office and is preparing to buy an NAS device to backup
every workstation. There are a lot of available NAS devices on the
market (most of them runs Linux) and many of them ship with backup
software that I can install on every workstation and automate the backup
process. Since I use OpenSuSE and I am in position to choose the
products, I must choose something that either offer backup software that
can be installed on Linux, or offer easy way to let me configure
OpenSuSE to backup to that thing.

You're confusing issues. The question is what file sharing protocol
(SMB, NFS etc.) is being used? Back up software is another question
that's not related to the first. NAS simply refers to a storage device
that can be accessed over the network. Linux can talk to most, if not all.