Re: [opensuse] Sound advice
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 05:17:00 -0400
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Or, advice on sound.

I am looking to use sound as a way for diskless (and displayless and
keyboardless and speakerless) KIWI (OpenSUSE 10.3) systems to send
status info by sound to another openSUSE 10.3 system, which can play it
on it's speakers. There can be more than one KIWI sending messages. It
is very very low volume of messages that will be sent. Things like 'I'm
ready'", or "Sh*t, I'm dying". The sounds can be in whatever format is
best. I am thinking simple 8-bit wav files of the sort you can usually
cat to /dev/dsp. But I do not think the sound format is an issue.

Rather than trying to send sound over the network, why not just
set up a program on the machine with the sound card & speakers,
and use rsh (remote shell) from the headless machine to the
machine that has the sound.

i.e.
if [bad condition]
then
rsh sound-host /usr/local/bin/play-sound Im.dying.wav
fi

where
sound-host is the host that has sound capabilities
/usr/local/bin/play-sound is a script on sound-host
which plays a given sound file
Im.dying.wav Is your "I'm dying" audio message

This is several orders of magnitude simpler than trying
to set up an ad-hoc method of PUSHING sound over the
network to some other host (which is basically the
equivalent of trying to produce a pop-up web browser
window on a machine that might not even have a browser
running at the time).

Of course, a pop-up window, perhaps via X, is also possible. But it is
not what we are looking to use. Such popups have 'issues' in our use.

You're making it WAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaay too complicated.

My question is, if you were to choose one of the sound system systems
delivered with openSUSE, and that might continue to be delivered for a
few more releases, which would you choose for this sort of networked
sound? Pulse Audio? Something else? Any experience/advice to share?

Of course, I could make something simple myself. But I would like to
spend such time making new things, not reinventing existing things that
may fit the bill.