Re: [opensuse] Are src.rpm packages installable?
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:53:00 +0200 (CEST)
A src.rpm is installable, but it's not stored in the rpm
database, so
you
won't see it with rpm -q

All that happens when you install it is that the spec file gets
copied
to /usr/src/packages/SPECS and the source tar ball and
patches get
copied
to /usr/src/packages/SOURCES. You can then "assemble" it
with

rpmbuild -bp /usr/src/packages/SPECS/<spec file>

which will unpack the tar ball and apply the patches
in /usr/src/packages/BUILD/<package name>

Anders
For additional commands, e-mail:
opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks. This was exactly I wanted to know.
According to this I can remove an installed src.rpm by simply
deleting the files from /usr/src/packages/SOURCES and /usr/src/
packages/SPECS, can't I?

I checked my directories in /usr/src/packages/ and found that
SOURCES has several files. These files are not only source
tar.gz files but text files too. How could they get there? Simple
compilation (make;make install) could cause that? Or rpmbuild
--rebuild might have put them there?

Thanks,
IG