Re: [opensuse] Re: Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:22:17 -0400
Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

The Thursday 2008-04-03 at 03:10 +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:

Just make sure that you really rip out the broken disk. Just last month, I was called to a customer's site because some sleep-deprived sysadmin ripped out the working disk, and not the broken disk. Usually, I recommend my technicians to just let the RAID degrade and repair it with calm, when they are well rested -- after all, they just lost the failover possibility... ;-)

I wonder why they don't put a LED on them, so that you can light it up from some software and see "that one".

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

The Compaq servers I worked on did just that. The tray that the hot-swap drive was in had status LED's and you could easily tell when a drive failed.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998