Re: [opensuse] World-largest Linux Migration Project
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:49:03 -0700
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 02 April 2008 11:35:40 am Joe Sloan wrote:
> Oh, I know netware was a rock solid OS, I was just being flip, and also
> rather impressed that this particular tired old server is still ticking.
>
> A few years back, the uptime on the linux boxes used to wrap around at
> 497 days, which startled me on at least one occasion, so it's good to
> see the uptime counter still intact nearing 1100 days - but yes, I've
> heard tales of the netware server walled off in a closet running for
> years after the fact.
> Joe

Now back to Earth.

Is it possible that for server relevant kernel updates are coming so seldom?

If I understand the gist of your question...

I think its possible that many servers, especially the more specialized ones
don't need to apply kernel updates at all, or if so they need only a very few.

I know of many mission critical FAA servers (not Air Traffic Control related)
were running a rather old version of Debian several years out of date. These
thing sere located everywhere and only ssh and a cut down web server on
them, and the only thing that forced an upgrade was the desire to burn periodic
data to DVDs rather than CDroms.

I have one customer still running SuSE 9.1, And it only reboots when
the UPS is exhausted.