Re: [opensuse] World-largest Linux Migration Project
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 06:52:58 -0400
2008/4/2, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> there
> are still many large companies running NetWare 3.12 servers, many with
1000+
> days of uptime.

3.12 was a killer version. From there it got weirder and weirder and
eventually
weirded its way into obscurity. They had to do it to get directory
services in
because that was the Microsoft selling point, but everything about netware
4.x and later was downhill. I jumped off the train and climbed on the linux
bandwagon rather than go to netware 5.

With a big UPS at one of my customer sites, I did have a 3.12
installation run for over two years in spite of power failures. I only
took it down to add more disk drives.

Novell marketing is and always was non-existent. They wrote the most
dry ads and most leaden prose
of any group I have ever seen. Its clear they neither understood
their products nor had ever even talked
to anyone who did. I always came away from one of their sales
brochures with that "whatthefuckdidthatsay"
feelings. I never understood any of their product line, or even why I
would want to use it. It was like reading ads for left handed widgets
written in Korean.

Yep, it's sad, here Novell lost against CA because of that while
choosing an Identity Management solution for the company, I wasn't
involved though...

Ciro