Re: [opensuse] Dead motherboard? Disk ok?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:49:18 -0500
j.e.perry@xxxxxxx wrote:
---- "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
j.e.perry@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have a desktop with an Asus K8V-X SE motherboard. It recently stopped
booting, saying the hard drive failed smart tests. ......
John, I had a client have that problem.........VIA chipset on an Asus
MOB. The drive had to be COMPLETELY repartitioned and formatted on a new
MOB. I replaced the Asus with an MSI.

Ouch! Most of what was on that drive was duplicate of what's on my laptop (still struggling with that mess), but some stuff I'd like to have is unique to the desktop.
At least I probably won't have to buy a new drive, too?

jp

If you need that drive, by all means, buy another drive, keep the drive you need data on safe until you do a fresh install on the new drive, setup the new system to your taste, install the old drive in the box and mount it and retrieve your data.

With 40G drives going for $30 it's not worth risking data you need trying to use that drive in an install/rescue scenario.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC