Re: [opensuse] Kmail and chown/ chmod
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:24:26 -0700
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek
<constant@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am running 10.2 and 10.3 on the same machine (not at the same time ;) ).
If I am working in 10.3 I want to receive my email via kmail in the same
mailbox.
For this purpose I have made MAIL directory in /home with the idea to use it
for both the email downloads in 10.2 and 10.3.
Problem is that I use different usernames, one ending with 102, the other
with
103.
Is there a possibility to chmod or chown the mail directory with all the
different folders in such a way that both Suse's can use the same folders?
Looked in the man pages for both commands but did not find anything I could
(understand and) use.
If I would use the same username for both versions, would that work? Thought
about such a solution but have than the problem of not knowing in what
version I am working for the moment ;).

Ouch.

People who use NFS run into this problem of permissions and user-ids
all the time.
They might have some better ideas.

If it was my machine, I would change the Uids and GIDs to match before
I got too
far into it.

But about the only way you can do what you want baring changing UIDs is to
create a new group in EACH system, making sure that the GID is the same numeric
number in each system. Add your self to this group.

So say this group is called cbn

chown the folders something like chown -R 102:cbn <folder-name>
chmod -R g+r <folder-name>