Re: [opensuse] Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:53:42 -0700
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:40 AM, John Bown <john.bown@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello everyone. I have an old server with an IDE RAID card in it on

Basically, I'm worried that an IDE based machine will be painfully slow

I doubt this...
With Raid 1, writes are done in parallel, but reads go to which ever
drive is free, so it ends up being a tad faster in most cases.

Since the machine has two 2.4GHz Xeon processors in it, couldn't I
designate one to do nothing but RAID and encryption

No you can't. (Well technically you probably could set affinity on some
processes as long as they did not run in kernel space). This is a fool's
errand. Install the default kernel, (which is also the SMP kernel specific
to your processors and step away from the console.

Linux will handle multiple processors way better than you could. Software
raid is so resource UN-intensive that you will never even notice it running.

Now, about that raid card....
Often (without me doing any research on that specific card) you will find a way
to disable the on-board raid controller (a jumper) leaving you with
just a multi-channel
IDE card which is perfect for building software raid.

Mirrored software raid will probably outperform the card's (fairly
whimpy) prorcessor
anyway, and it has the advantage of dual processors as opposed to the single
processor on the raid card.

I've used a lot of ide raid cards over the years, and I used all of
them this way.
(Disable the on-board raid software).
The performance is more than acceptable.