Re: [opensuse] Suggestions for backup software?
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin-list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 09:06:46 -0600
Lew Wolfgang wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
What software do you suggest for doing this? That is what is foremost on my mind at this stage.

Hi Stan,

I've had good luck with rdiff-backup. It's in the main SuSE repository
and is easy to install. I've used it both for disk-to-disk backups
on the same machine and for remote-server pulls using ssh. I've even
used it for backing up Windows boxes using smbfs to mount their
exported "folders", then rdiff-backup to a local hard disk. Runs
fine from cron.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang

Another neat feature is that as long as you keep doing the differential backups (don't start over), you can restore any file to its state a/o any backup date. Really useful if you clobber a file and don't notice it for a couple of backups.

Don Henson