Re: [opensuse] Suggestions for backup software?
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 09:58:31 +0100

Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Monday 31 March 2008 11:39, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Monday 31 March 2008 11:28, Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 10:36 +0200, jdd sur free wrote:
G T Smith a écrit :
In many situations a solution that allows for recovery of a
file that got deleted in error (or corrupted
best solution I see is

It seems useful to distinguish backup, which is a prophylaxis against
unexpected data loss, and archiving, which is for preserving a
historical record of your files. One often need not archive nearly as
much data as one would want to be able to recover after a hardware,
software or human error.

... And conversely, one need not expect backup data to have nearly th
longevity of archival storage.

RRS

Agreed,

However, an issue with a snapshot style of backup is the assumption that
the material to be backed up is valid. While this may the case with a
catastrophic failure, it may not be the case if the source material has
been degrading over time due to hardware, software, or human error
issues. (Hardware based degradation can be covered by using RAID to some
extent, but the others not at all). If the snapshop recovery fails to
recover data, recovery from an archive of last good copies is useful to
have as a fallback option.

In my experience to solely rely on one mechanism is inviting that
mechanism to fail.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup