Re: [opensuse] Sendmail help
  • From: Mike Grau <m.grau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:46:58 -0500
Hello, sorry to have taken so long to report back, and thank you all for
your suggestions!

I had the problem that Sendmail built from the tarball on this machine ...

openSUSE 10.2 (X86-64) - Kernel \r (\l).
Linux 2.6.18.8-0.8-default #1 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

... would only log and provide to milters the bracketed IP address of
the connecting relay rather than the host name.

In the end I used the RPM supplied sendmail, modified /etc/mail/linux.mc
and used m4 as Werner suggested to build my sendmail.cf. I suspect that
the sendmail.cf I had generated from the tarball would also work and
that the the problem was in my site.config.m4 file used to build
sendmail, but I was never able to discover what that problem was. The
RPM supplied sendmail does behave as expected, so I'm just calling that
"good enough".

It was also suggested that I try a setup script at this link provided by
Rodney - http://blogs.linux.ie/download/install-sendmail-6.0.tar.gz -
but I have not yet had a chance to try it and must move on.

Thank you all for your help!
-- Mike