What diagnostic info to grab? - Re: [opensuse] Disappeared Panel
  • From: James Bullock <jbullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:49:51 -0700

Clever or not so clever application naming aside, I'm seeing the same "Disappeared Panel" from time to time, starting about a week ago along with some other symptoms. I'd like to help diagnose this. What info should / could I grab? Where can I route the info?

Installation: OpenSuSE 10.3, KDE 3, 32 bit Intel, from the SuSE repositories and fully patched to date.

Symptoms:
- Does not depend on compiz / not compiz. Happens either way. This was my first suspicion.

- Haven't yet been able to correlate it with any particular action or application. I run a bunch of stuff on the desktop for long enough and it always happens eventually. Even with just with productivity apps - Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.

- Seems vaguely to correlate with delays. So if there's network congestion, a lot of disk activity, or loading several apps while typing at another, that seems to go with the problem.

- Other symptoms:

-- Apps in panel sometimes aren't loading on startup.

-- Focus sometimes gets lost between / among apps. Cursor / click on app doesn't restore focus (necessarily). I've been successful using keyboard shortcuts to issue menu commands for whichever app *does* have focus.

-- Apparent sometimes delay, like a stutter step, in responding to mouse events w/in the desktop.

This almost looks like a message bus / event dispatch thing, with stuff getting dropped when a queue fills up or similar.

Two questions:

1 - How can I help get this diagnosed? What can or should I collect as diagnostic info? What might I try?

2 - Is there a command to get the desktop a clean restart? Is that what "kicker" does?

Thanks

--
Jim Bullock, Rare Bird Enterprises, "Conscious Development"
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rarebirdenterprises

Listen to a round table of experts in these books from Dorset House:
Roundtable on Project Management, http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/rpm.html
Roundtable on Technical Leadership, http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/rtl.html