Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 04:47:39 -0400
Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
Randall R Schulz:

There's no way for xargs to know about anything other
than the kernel-imposed argument list size limit.

Where can I read the argument list size limit? I fail to see anything relevant with ulimit -a or in proc or in pam's limits.conf.

check the man pages for the shells
usually they list the length of the command line buffer.
In 4.3 BSD, I believe the buffer was 10 kiB. -- which I
thought was deliriously excessive back before I understood
shell scripting and filename globbing.

I have no clue what it is now, and also, these are GNU
man pages, not AT&T-derived BSD man pages.

Wolfgang