Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:55:11 -0700
On Thursday 27 March 2008 07:48, Bob Rea wrote:
U.S. government SECRET requires a low-level format.

How does one do a low level format? I got asked to do this
at work but no one would tell me how.

If you use SCSI drives, then the SCSI adaptor may have a BIOS function
for invoking low-level disk formatting operations, assuming the drive
hardware permits it. You could look there.

But I had gotten the impression (in this list a while back, if I recall
correctly) that modern drives have their addressing information written
at the factory and provide no means to change or redo it in the field.

Bob Rea

Randall Schulz