Re: [opensuse] Sendmail help
  • From: "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:10:34 +0100
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:25:53PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Wednesday 2008-03-26 at 14:24 -0500, Mike Grau wrote:

Okay - I see it did indeed show up. No solution though. I was building
sendmail because that's what I knew how to do from my pre-linux days. I'll
probably just use the rpm sendmail, but the rpm sendmail config seems
extremely convoluted as opposed to a simple "sh Build -c install" or "sh
Build sendmail.cf", but perhaps I can still learn something new. We'll see.

Notice that sendmail configuration gets replaced when you run yast to
configure email. This is the recommended method. After yast has done its
configuration thing as close as possible to what you want, then you may
change the configuration manually, and yast should not touch it ever
again.

Beside YaST configuration and/or configuration with /etc/sysconfig/mail
and /etc/sysconfig/sendmail I've also implemented the way of using
system specific m4 macro files for /etc/sendmail.cf and /etc/mail/submit.cf

For this simply set MAIL_CREATE_CONFIG in /etc/sysconfig/mail to
"no" and use the m4 files in /etc/mail/ which are

linux.mc
linux.nullclient.mc (instead of linux.mc only if you need a nullclient!)
linux.submit.mc

after editing the files linux.mc and linux.submit.mc you run

m4 linux.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
m4 linux.submit.mc > /etc/mail/submit.cf
make -C /etc/mail

that's it. But not, this way is not supported and for experts only
or for users which want to become an expert :)

The way back is simply done by setting MAIL_CREATE_CONFIG to "yes"
in /etc/sysconfig/mail together with deleting /etc/sendmail.cf
and /etc/mail/submit.cf. Afterwards a

SuSEconfig --module sendmail

restores the configuration with the help of /etc/sysconfig/mail
and /etc/sysconfig/sendmail

Werner

--
Dr. Werner Fink <werner@xxxxxxx>
SuSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, Nuernberg, Germany