Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anders Johansson" <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 21:21 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:

% find dirName(s) {findCriteria} -print0 |xargs -0 rm

By doing this, xargs essentially "batches up" maximal (w.r.t. the
argument size limit) sets of file names and invokes rm only as many
times as necessary.

Randall, that has got to be one of the coolest pieces of advice I've
seen here. "man xargs" doesn't even mention it.

huh? It's what xargs does. It's the basic functionality of the program

Anders

Bizarrely, he's right though. The man page (at least on linux at least on suse)
doesn't quite say what the point is. It says it "builds command lines from
stdin" but that doesn't mean very much. It doesn't actually say the two crucial
parts about:
1) up to the limit if the shell or system or the application
2) re-executing as necessary, indefinitely, until input is exhausted

It is a funny sort of a blind spot. 99.99% of people who read the page, and
obviously the author too, do not notice the lack bcause we all just know what
xargs is for somehow from some other source. In my case because the SCO Xenix
man page for xargs was of better quality. :) I don't remember it exactly but
I'm pretty sure that was where I first encountered xargs and the purpose of the
util was made clear. The current SCO Open Server 5.0.7 man page is probably the
same and says, among other useful things:

"When no options are coded, the initial-arguments are followed by
arguments read continuously from standard input until an internal
buffer is full, and command is executed with the accumulated
arguments. This process is repeated until there are no more
arguments. When there are option conflicts (for example, -l and
-n), the last specified option has precedence."

You might say "why would you man xargs unless you already knew you needed
xargs, and thus, what xargs was for?"
Lots of reasons. Starting with:
"This script is running xargs. Why?"
"Some dude/magazine/etc... told me to run blah |xargs blah. What will that do?"

It should also be noted that it's also useful for iterating through arbitrarily
large lists one item at a time instead of accumulating large command lines.
When I say "or the application" above that means, maybe the limit is just one
filename argument per invcation because app foo can only handle one file at a
time. (like say, vorbiscomment) xargs -n 1 will do that.

The point of xargs isn't really to accumulate large command lines, but rather
to handle input of unknown/unlimited size and chunk it into command lines of
whatever size is needed, which may just as easily be one item as MAXCARGS.

--
Brian K. White brian@xxxxxxxxx http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR