Re: [opensuse] Unstable system - culprit identified
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:28:57 +0100
The saga is about to conclude.

The Gigabyte motherboard GA-MA790FX-DS5 with an AMD Phenom quad-core is
unstable under full load, period. I suspect the memory controller
setup, but Gigabyte has been unable to reproduce (under Windows).

Last week I purchased an MSI board (K9A2 CF) with slightly lower specs
(primarily AMD790X instead of -FX chipset) - yesterday I installed it
with the same components (cpu, psu, memory, disks etc.).
Earlier this afternoon it completed a 24 hour burn-in run with mprime
stresstests going at full throttle - showing no problems whatsoever.
Right now it's running four copies of mprime plus a Kubuntu
installation in Virtualbox, and a Firefox3 beta. (I'm browsing the net
whilst waiting for Kubuntu to make some progress).

IMO the Gigabyte board is faulty - I'll ask the dealer to take it back
tomorrow.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich