Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:18:03 +0100
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:54 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
I use it to record/keep a record of work done and what needs to be done.
It is a personal preference. These disks are/were going to hold my work
since 1984. I often do a ls -la on them. Having the time change from
1988 to 2008 really messes things up. I can not easily see what has been
done. For example I client calls and want to know the last time I updated
package XYZ. I quickly do a ls -la on the location and I can tell him.
It was for example Jan 14 2001.

Isn't the obvious follow-up from the customer: ...and what did you
change then? Using your method you would have to go through the time
stamps on all files and look for the latest changes, and even then you
might only be able to tell him which file was changed

With svn or cvs you ẃould have the answer immediately, without having to
do anything extra

I think you're optimizing for the wrong problem.

But couldn't you at least maintain a changelog file? Files don't change
their mtime, and you would also know immediately at least a brief
description of what was changed

Anders