Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:54:06 -0600
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:39 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
Thanks, that explains it. I should have used ext3 or reiser. The problem
is I had to reboot a machine with 10.2 and 500 GB drives. ext3 has been
doing it's fsck check for 3 hours. I really can not be without my
machines for many hours for the over 3 month fsck check. I have gone back
to reiser on most systems. I guess I have been lucky. I have never had a
data loss(Knock on wood) with reiser. I just do not have 2 more 1TB
drives to change the XFS to reiser. The above makes things very clear.

You're changing file systems just because the mtime gets updated?

What are you doing that makes the mtime so important? Maybe you're using
it incorrectly, and should be using something else instead?

I use it to record/keep a record of work done and what needs to be done.
It is a personal preference. These disks are/were going to hold my work
since 1984. I often do a ls -la on them. Having the time change from
1988 to 2008 really messes things up. I can not easily see what has been
done. For example I client calls and want to know the last time I updated
package XYZ. I quickly do a ls -la on the location and I can tell him.
It was for example Jan 14 2001.

In any case, you can set the mtime to whatever you want using touch -m,
so you can have your old timestamps back if you want

Yes, but to do this for 10,000 directories is a real pain.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>