Re: [opensuse] [Fwd: What is the problem - and with whom?]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:09:42 +0100 (CET)

[ This is the third time I send this email, but the list silently discards it
:-/ ]

The Monday 2008-03-24 at 17:52 +0100, Peter J. P-N wrote:

Carlos E. R. schrieb:

I'm no coder and my system is productive ;-)

Well if the official repositories are enough to make your system
'productive' for your profession that's just great. But unfortunately
for my profession, I'm a photographer and media designer, they are not.

Ah, I see. Well, what I do when I can is that I compile myself the extras
I need: thus, no conflicts. Not everybody is inclined to do that, or
simply can't.

So when tried to install those missing programs from those unofficial
repositories one gonna recognize that packman bits gnome-stable or
videolan bits packman. Thus I don't wonder if some folks gets frustrated.

Yes, that's a problem. It has always been a problem for all linux users,
and will probably continue to be so for ages, unfortunately. Legally,
suse/novell can not provide those multimedia packages.

I know this. However mandriva has found a solution for that issue with
their pawerpack. Why not providing software such way also for the
opensuse community? Such a dual channel distribution might prove useful.

Dunno. I don't know what "pawerpack" is.

Explanations here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_Formats

* The software is proprietary software, it does not conform
to the Open Source definition.

Well Novell does provide Adobe Acrobat although it ain't open source.

So the acrobat license is no impediment. Other licenses for other products
are.

* The software is providing functionality which is patented
and the patent holder is preventing distribution of the software

Why not buy the license on bulk or on access basis and redistribute it
to the community by charging a fee?

It is not as simple as that. For instance, did you know that not all the
legal problems are posed by the proprietary camp? One of the problems is
that some possible solutions would be a mixture of open and closed
software... and that is mostly impossible.

Somebody wrote a long explanation on that. Let me try to find it.
[...]

Here:

* The software violates laws concerning software distribution in
jurisdictions where Novell conducts business.

I think that nobody expect Novell to provide libdvdcss.

Oh, yes, many people! Till they know better.

I know many people that do not care about "legalities". They just want
the software to work, legally or illegally.

a solution here:
http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

Those solutions depend on unofficial repositories. Please check the
content of e.g. codecs-kde.ymp. So we back to the begin.

I know.

I think the problem is because packman not only provides "non-restricted"
versions of the needed multimedia packages, but also upgrades. Maybe they
could make a repo without "upgrades" :-?

and with a 'common' ffmpeg :-?

Dunno. If we need a different ffmpeg, then do have it, but of the same
version number, so that dependencies do not break. What I think we need,
usually, is not a newer version, but one that doesn't disable the
features we need.

Mind, I don't know if it is possible. It's just an idea.

As to the gnome/kde repos, I don't know why they are necesary for
multimedia. Are they?

Depending on what you define multimedia. I for example need gimp 2.4
thus I need gnome-stable if I want it easy.

Ah, I see.

Looking on:

http://packages.opensuse-community.org/index.jsp?searchTerm=gimp&distro=openSUSE_103

I see there are other repos containing gimp.

Carlos don't get me wrong. I know by now how to help myself but it cost
me IMO way too much time to figure it all out.

Possibly.

Nevertheless, based on my experience with opensuse, I do understand the
frustration of some users new to this distro.

I understand that, but it is not zypper fault, which was the point. A rant
maybe necessary to vent frustration, but it is not going to help us getting
things solved. Linux has its set of problems, and opensuse has its set,
and each distro will have theirs... just find the one that is more suited
to each person, and use it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.