Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:09:45 -0600
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Sloan wrote:
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Sloan wrote:
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
I am on openSUSE 10.3 and I really hate the current behavior. On
10.0 I could do a mv and it retained the orignal date/time. Now
moving the directory changes times. I have to do a cpio to get
things to stay. When you transfer 450 GB it becomes a real
problem. I only have a 1TB drive. Once I finish getting things to
this drive I will not be able to do a cpio.

Also cpio no longer honors -pdum. I have to use
cpio -p --make-directories --preserve-modification-time

What is the output of the "mount" command, please?

suse103:~ # mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr,commit=0)

/dev/sdb2 on /MNT0 type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr,commit=0)
/dev/sdb3 on /MNT1 type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /home type xfs (rw)

OK, you've got xfs and ext3, check - which partition displayed the symptoms
you posted?

Both, but I am mainly using the xfs. I have a lot of small files. The
files themselves keep their times, but the directories all change.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>