Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:15:10 -0500
On Saturday 22 March 2008 08:57:32 am Ken Schneider wrote:
Rajko M. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Saturday 22 March 2008 07:46:04 am Ken Schneider wrote:
So... when Nero comes out with an upgrade Microsoft supplies the
upgrade? Wow, when did this start happening?

openSUSE is no different then MS, they supply security updates to the
original packages that they supplied, nothing more.

The difference is that MS offer of application leaves many wishes
unsatisfied. For instance Nero you have to buy, and then after
installation go to Nero web site for updates. Some are not important
(like security ;-) ), but some you have to pick up, like drivers,
otherwise you spit a money for nothing.

It is interesting that many people react on Linux like they do a favor to
guy that is promoting Linux and wants to help them out.
It is the same as one would have chance to get Cadillac for free and
he/she accepts offer under one condition, to be careful and watch not to
scratch his Yugo. Otherwise ....

I wasn't trying to chastise someone for trying to convert someone to
linux, just point the flaw in his logic. MS only provides security
updates just as openSUSE only offers security updates, nothing more. I
actually applaud people that promote linux to get others to switch.

Me neither.
I just offered alternative view on a problem that I have myself.
I'm sure that in the future I'll turn upside down the way I offer help to
windows users, and treat help by Linux installation as favor to the person
that wants Linux, not vice versa.

Free Cadillac is still Cadillac, and who prefer bicycle can stay with it.

The 70% screams for compatibility are:
"I have nice cup holder adjusted for my Yugo. I want you to make sure that it
will fit in Cadillac. Otherwise you can take it with you."
Sure I will =:-)

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal