Re: [opensuse] YaST crash
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:03:23 -0500
On Saturday 22 March 2008 08:50:20 am Stan Goodman wrote:
I opened YaST to check what release of SANE is installed, and found that:

v1.0.18.81-x86_64 is installed, and
v1.0.19-0.pm.2-x86_64 is available.

This is the first time I have seen such a discrepancy, and I wonder why,
if there is a newer release available, SANE had not been updated on the
frequent occasions in which I had been informed of available updates, and
had accepted their installation.

I accepted the update, and watched while YaST asked me to wait for the
update. After a bit, however, YaST crashed; a rectangle appeared first,
so I assume it had something to tell me, but then vanished so rapidly
that I am not sure that any text was actually painted. But I suppose that
this has a lot to do with the failure to update automatically, and that
the available update is defective.

Do others see the same unupdated version?

The v1.0.19-0.pm.2-x86_64 is Packman version.
Check again is that one installed, or you still have v1.0.18.81-x86_64.

I lived happy for a long time skipping unofficial updates, and Packman is one
of those. Even now, while Packman is in the list of repositories, it is
disabled. I enable it only when I need some specific program that can be
found only in Packman. The reason is that it often is not in sync with
openSUSE base libraries and if it attempts to update them I can land with
unbootable system. While it is not problem without solution, it is sometimes
a lot of work that I'll rather skip.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal