Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:46:04 -0400
Basil Chupin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:
On 03/22/2008 12:03 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:
On 03/22/2008 11:23 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
Both versions come from opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository so why hasn't YaST2 upgraded java to the newer 1.6 version (as indicated in the result of THE TEST)?
Security updates SELDOM have upgraded versions (unless it was absolutely necessary), it only updates to the same version with security patches applied, for maximum compatibility.

And I am surprised that you can come up with crap like your current response.

Where do "security updates" come into all this?!
opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository. That is the update repository for security updates.

Oh hell, now I can really see openSUSE heading towards a big crash :-( . opensuse.org/update/10.x repository is only "for security updates". Where do the 'non-security' upgrades/updates come from?!

Third party repos which are now very easy to setup.

And don't say that as an old user of openSUSE I should know because I really don't give a rat's arse - all I want to have is my OS being upgraded/updated with the latest files without me having to go through this crap of figuring out what comes from where.

AND as I said, I am converting a friend from XP to SuSE so I don't want to expound to him that files from X are security upgrades while files from Y are non-security upgrades - to which he will only reply, "I'll just stick with XP where I automatically get all the upgrades required."

So... when Nero comes out with an upgrade Microsoft supplies the upgrade? Wow, when did this start happening?

openSUSE is no different then MS, they supply security updates to the original packages that they supplied, nothing more.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998