Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:04:09 +0100
Basil Chupin schreef:
Joe Morris wrote:
On 03/22/2008 12:03 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:
On 03/22/2008 11:23 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
Both versions come from opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository so why hasn't YaST2 upgraded java to the newer 1.6 version (as indicated in the result of THE TEST)?
Security updates SELDOM have upgraded versions (unless it was absolutely necessary), it only updates to the same version with security patches applied, for maximum compatibility.

And I am surprised that you can come up with crap like your current response.

Where do "security updates" come into all this?!
opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository. That is the update repository for security updates.

Oh hell, now I can really see openSUSE heading towards a big crash :-( . opensuse.org/update/10.x repository is only "for security updates". Where do the 'non-security' upgrades/updates come from?!

And don't say that as an old user of openSUSE I should know because I really don't give a rat's arse - all I want to have is my OS being upgraded/updated with the latest files without me having to go through this crap of figuring out what comes from where.

AND as I said, I am converting a friend from XP to SuSE so I don't want to expound to him that files from X are security upgrades while files from Y are non-security upgrades - to which he will only reply, "I'll just stick with XP where I automatically get all the upgrades required."

[rest pruned]

Ciao.

Well, why shouldn't your friend know how many people create apps, and that these apps can be found, if one knows where to look?
Why can't you tell him where to look? Because you don't know yourself?
Maybe you will not be able to answer your friends questions, once he uses Linux.
Maybe you just lett him be, and use XP?
(You can always point to your mailsig?)

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (Now or never...)

Besturingssysteem: Linux 2.6.25-rc5-git2-5-default x86_64
Current user: oddball@AMD64x2-sfn1
System: openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha3
KDE: 4.00.66 (KDE 4.0.66 >= 20080313) "release 6.1"