Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:40:12 -0400
Basil Chupin wrote:
Oddball wrote:
Greg Freemyer schreef:

I'm running 64-bit. Flash works. Don't know about Java. What's a
good site to test that on?

Greg

http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Just following on from the python-gtk fiasco mentioned in another thread, I went to the above site and did THE TEST :-) , and, just as with the business of python-gtk, I am now totally c-o-n-f-u-s-e-d, to put it politely :-( .

Doing the test resulted in me being given the message, "Oooops, you are using the wrong version of java" - or words to this effect. So I go looking for the "right" version of java.

In YaST2 Software Management I can see that I have java-1_5_0-sun installed but just a little way down there is java-1_6_0-sun staring me in the face.

Both versions come from opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository so why hasn't YaST2 upgraded java to the newer 1.6 version (as indicated in the result of THE TEST)?

That, I can only guess. What I did, awhile ago, was to start installing both versions and some problems went away. I can only guess that there are a few odd-ball apps. that can't figure out to use version 6 as they should. ;)

Fred

--
"Security" in Windows comes from patching a sieve.